Sunday, April 24, 2011

Avocados and Scuba-Diving Easter Bunnies

We're pretty awesome in Florida. I mean, sometimes it rains in the front yard and is sunny out back. Sometimes four-foot iguanas wander onto your porch at 6 a.m. so you go across the hall to tell your friend so he can see, and his brother catches it with a t-shirt and keeps it in their living room. True story. I was 12. Sometimes the Easter Bunny grabs his scuba gear and sets up an underwater Easter egg hunt to support a local children's charity. That's the spirit.

This Easter I am exactly 1,561 miles away from my family. So you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to share food with friends. If you're on your own for Easter, why not do the same? Call a few friends and have a potluck. I'll make it easy for you. I'll even show you what to bring.



Tomatillo!



Mango!



Key Limes!


Need I say more?


Black Bean Avocado Salad

1 mango
1 red bell pepper
1 avocado
1 c. corn
1 can black beans
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tomatillo, chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
juice of 3 key limes
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Adobo seasoning
1/4 tsp chili powder

1. Chop up the mango, bell pepper, avocado, tomatillo, garlic, and onion. Put them in a large bowl.
2. Cook the corn! Add it to the bowl. Do you see a trend here? There's a trend here.
3. Rinse the black beans and add them to the bowl.
4. Sprinkle on the seasonings, lime juice, and olive oil.
5. Toss. Serve. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment