Saturday, October 15, 2011

Butternut Squash Risotto

Well, hi. It's been awhile, hasn't it? Sorry about that. I hope everyone's Fall is lovely.

Do you know what makes Fall lovely? Butternut squash. I love butternut squash and I've been meaning to experiment with risotto, so I made butternut squash risotto. It's not terribly hard, either. I swear this is only the second time I've ever made risotto. It is a bit time-consuming, though.

First, poke fork holes in your butternut (I just typed "butterbut." Twice. Har.) squash, fill a cake pan with about one inch of water, and bake the hole-y squash, in the water, at 400 for 45 minutes-1 hour. It all depends on the size of the squash. You'll know the squash is done when you can poke a fork in it without much resistance. It's okay if you end up with a few hard bits here and there, though.

Once your squash is out of the oven and cool enough to handle, cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Then peel the squash (using a peeler or your fingers) and dice it up.

The rest of the recipe can be found here, which the exception that I used a stout hard cider instead of white wine. Apples + Squash = Win. It gave the risotto a heartier flavor. I imagine white wine would be much lighter.


No comments:

Post a Comment